The San Juan Memorial Library provides a safe environment that is conducive to the use of all patrons. The San Juan Memorial Library expects patrons to behave in a civil and considerate manner. The library staff will warn or ask patrons to leave the library if their behavior is disruptive or abusive. If necessary, the San Juan Memorial Library staff will call the City of San Juan Police Department for assistance.
The following are examples of behavior that will not be tolerated in the library:
- Behavior that endangers the safety or health of other patrons or staff
- Violation, while in the library, of any local, state, or federal law
- Vandalism or deliberate destruction of any library materials
- Theft of library materials or the personal property of other patrons or staff members
- Deliberate disruption of library procedures
- Use of abusive language
- Loud talking or laughing that disturbs or could disturb other patrons
- Drinking and eating can only be done in the café.
- Use of electronic devices, such as radios, pagers, or cell phones with respect to other patrons.
The San Juan Memorial Library holds minors to the same standard of behavior as adult patrons. Library staff will ask the parent and or guardian of disruptive children to step out of the library with their children if the parent and or guardian are not able to control their children.
The San Juan Memorial Library holds the parent and or guardian responsible for the actions of the minor.
Children 12 and under should not be left unattended in the library. When a staff member finds a child 12 or under unattended in the library, the staff member will contact the San Juan Police.
Destruction of Library Materials or Property
Destruction of library material can include ripping out pages from books or magazines, defacing the pages or covers of books or magazines, writing in books, or the damaging of videos. The San Juan Memorial Library will charge patrons found damaging materials for the repair or replacement as set forth in the circulation guidelines. San Juan Police Department will be called if deemed necessary.
Theft of Library Materials/Property and Tagging
The San Juan Police Department will be called when a patron is found stealing or damaging city property.